When Are Traffic Control Permits Required

A Traffic Control Permit is not only required for street repairs or underground utility work in the City right-of-way. One may be needed for the work being completed around a homeowner's property. Are you planning on adding a driveway? Are you making home repairs that require the use of a dumpster or mobile storage unit being placed temporarily on the City street? Maybe you just want to do some landscaping that encompasses impacts to the sidewalk or City right-of-way? Either way, a Traffic Control Permit is required for any work that impacts travel lanes, alleys, medians, shoulders, sidewalks, bike lanes, bus stops and driveways at the street connection. Please review the brochure pdf for additional information.

Traffic Control Permit Applications

  • The Traffic Control Permit Application PDF is the initial form used for work that requires more than one day to complete or for one day operations that will create major impacts to public travel. Please allow three business for processing, as a Traffic Control Plan is required with this application. Late submittals may cause an extension to the start date or double fees may be applied.
  • The Traffic Control Permit One-Day Application PDF is the initial form used for work that only requires one day to complete. Traffic Control Plans are not required unless there are major impacts to public travel. If a Traffic Control Plan is needed please use the Traffic Control Permit Application PDF for submittal.
  • The Traffic Control Permit Addition Application PDF is the form used to make changes or request an extension to an existing permit. Please submit all necessary documents in order to make official changes to the existing Traffic Control Permit.

Once completed, print the application form and fax a copy over to the Traffic Engineering office 791-5526. In order to prevent processing delays, please submit all required documents at one time. If there are any questions, feel free to contact Traffic Engineering Office at 791-4259.

Methods of Payment

Cash, Checks, Money Orders, Advanced Payment Accounts, and most major Credit Cards are acceptable forms of payment for plan review and traffic control permit fees. When using check or money order for payment, please indicate permit number or job location on the memo line. Our office is now equipped to accept Visa/Debit, Discover, and MasterCard transactions for payments. Please do not send cash through the mail.

Credit Card Charge Form pdf

Customers can set up an Advanced Payment Account for convenient payment options. Customers deposit funds into their own Advanced Payment Account, making them available for future use. To deposit funds into account - cash, checks and money orders are acceptable. When using check or money order, please indicate the Advanced Payment Account Number on the memo line.

Please make all checks or money orders to: City of Tucson

If mailing - please address to:
City of Tucson / Traffic Engineering
201 N. Stone Ave – 5th Floor
P.O. Box 27210
Tucson, AZ 85726–7210

Working On/Near The Street Car Line

The working on or near the street car line is available online: working on or near the street car line.


Other Local Municipalities